Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pinnacle

We stood at the pinnacle of a new day,
Sun cleaning the world and turning the ocean to glass.
I imagine lava-blackened sand warming our toes.
Imagine--because it hasn't happened yet,
And I hear there are rocks on the beaches.
I wonder what we'll think in those captured moments,
Suspended in time by the dreamers still in their beds,
But not too much--because it hasn't happened yet,
And I want it to be a surprise.
Will it seem that the Kingdom has descended around us?
God's spirit enhancing every exhaled breath.
There is a timid anticipation of expectation,
But not too much--because it hasn't happened yet,
And I want the moments to bring themselves.
So if we do stand there one day,
Watching the sunrise on the tropical shore,
I'll smile and look at you with thanks,
But not yet--because it hasn't happened yet,
And now is the time for hope.

No comments: